English CBSE Class 10 NCERT First Flight Chapter 8 Mijbil the Otter Free Solution of Extra Questions and Answers – Extract Based Questions Short Answer Questions Long Answer Questions and Value Based Questions
MIJBIL THE OTTER
Extract Based Questions
1. Who is referred as ‘they’ in the above extract?
2. Which word in the extract mean ‘domesticated’?
3. In which country is town of Basra situated?
4. Why did ‘we’ go the office of Consulate General?
1. Who is Mijbil?
2. How did Mijbil behave during first day?
3. What is the meaning of ‘small hours’?
4., Which word in extract is synonym of ‘detached’?
1. Why author made a body-belt for the otter?
2. What is the characteristic of an otter?
3. Which phrase in the extract mean ‘ became excited’?
4. What is the name of the otter?
1. Where was Mij being transported?
2. Which airline refused to accommodate Mij?
3. Which word in the extract means of ‘purchased ticket’?
4. What did the other airline insist?
1. Who was inside the box?
2. Which word in the extract mean ‘scene’?
3. Why blood had come out of the box?
4. What did the author see on his return?
1. What was in the box?
2. Why driver tore through the streets of Basra?
3. Which word in the extract mean ‘angry’?
4. How far was the airport from author’s residence?
1. What does the word ‘it’ refer to in above extract?
2. Why the sack squirmed from time to time?
3. Which word in the extract mean ‘gave’?
4. In which town was ‘I’ staying?
1. What was the creature that emerged from the sack?
2. What did the creature look like?
3. What was the colour of fur of the creature?
4. Which word in the extract mean ‘identical’?
Short Answer Questions (30-40 words)
Answer: During first day Mij was neither hostile not friendly, he remained aloof and indifferent. In the early hours of second night, it climbed the bed and slept at the crooks of knees of author. During the day he started taking interest in his surroundings.
Answer: According to author, the real play of an otter is when it lies on its back and juggles small objects and toys on its paws.
Answer: The telephone call had to be booked 24 hours in advance. On first day the line was out of order. Second day exchange was closed due to religious holiday. Third day there was another breakdown. His mail came after five days.
Answer: When Maxwell took otter to bathroom it jumped into the bathtub. It went wild with joy, plunged and rolled in water, splash and sloshed water.
The author thus discovered that otters liked to play in water.
Answer: Most people of London had not seen an otter before. They guessed it to be a baby seal, a squirrel, a walrus, a hippo, a beaver, a bear cub or a leopard. One person had asked what that creature was called.
Thus Miz was source of amazement.
Answer: Maxwell had a dog named Jonnie as his pet. When the dog died he became too sad to again keep a dog as a pet. So he decided to keep an otter as a pet.
Answer: His friend had advised him to get an otter from Basra. He went to Basra from where his friend arranged an otter for him. Maxwell then brought the otter to London.
Long Answer questions (120-150 words)
Answer: The author had narrated the situation of otter to the air-hostess. She could immediately understand the pitiable condition of the creature and empathised with it.
The rule provided that the animal must be kept in the box. But she took pity on it and allowed author to keep the otter in his lap. This indicates one of the rare virtues of having a soft heart.
The air-hostess later offered to find the otter for the narrator. She tried her best to make the animal comfortable. She tried to help the narrator while ensuring minimum inconvenience to other passenger.
Such people are certainly a ray of hope in our society where respect for feelings and emotions have taken a back seat.
Answer: Mijbil was fully covered in mud when it was brought to Maxwell. He cleaned all the mud from its body. He had kept Mij in his bedroom from the very start. This shows that Maxwell was a good pet-owner.
Maxwell wanted to provide fun and exercise to his pet. Maxwell took the otter to bathroom and allowed it to play with water. He arranged various toys for its pet and watched its every action intently.
Maxwell was concerned about well-being and comfort of Mij. When Mij hurt itself in the box, he was deeply in pain. In the aircraft Maxwell requested air-hostess for some help for his pet which was provided.
Maxwell took adequate care to provide outdoor life to Mij. Maxwell used to take the otter for a walk. He had allowed Mij to walk on the boundary wall of the school.
Thus Maxwell took good care of his pet.