English CBSE Class 12 NCERT Flamingo Poem 6 Aunt Jenifer’s Tigers Free Solution of Extra Questions and Answers – Extract Based Questions Short Answer Questions Long Answer Questions and Value Based Questions
AUNT JENIFER’S TIGERS
Extract based questions
EB 1. When Aunt is dead, her terrified hands will lie
Still ringed with ordeals she was mastered by.
The tigers in the panel that she made
Will go on prancing, proud and unafraid.
1. Why is Aunt ‘ringed with ordeals’?
2. Why her hands are terrified?
3. Why did she make tigers?
4. What will happen to tigers after her death?
5. What is Aunt Jennifer’s death symbolic of?
6. Would society be affected by her death in anyway?
EB 2. Aunt Jennifer’s tigers prance across a screen,
Bright topaz denizens of a world of green.
They do not fear the men beneath the tree;
They pace in sleek chivalric certainty.
1. Why are tigers described as denizens of a world of green?
2. Why are tigers not afraid of men?
3. What are the tigers symbolic of for Aunt Jennifer?
4. What is the poetic device used in last line of the extract?
5. Explain‘they pace in sleek chivalric certainty’.
EB 3. Aunt Jennifer’s fingers fluttering through her wool
Find even the ivory needle hard to pull.
The massive weight of Uncle’s wedding band
Sits heavily upon Aunt Jennifer’s hand.
1. Why it is hard for Aunt Jennifer to pull the ivory needle?
2. What is the poetic device used in first line of the extract?
3. What is uncle’s wedding band?
4. Why does the poet use ‘massive weight’ and ‘sits heavily’ for uncles’s ring?
Short Answer Questions – 30 to 40 words
SA 1. How are Aunt Jennifer’s tigers different from her?
Answer: Aunt Jennifer is a weak and terrified lady. She does not have any freedom to move around or to express herself.
On the other hand, tigers are strong, fearless, confident and free to move anywhere.
SA 2. What lies heavily on the hand of Aunt Jennifer?
Answer: The wedding band lies heavily on her hand. It symbolizes burden of her married life. Probably her married life is full of difficulties and misery.
SA 3. How does poet describe Aunt Jennifer’s tigers?
Answer: They are of bright yellow colour as that of a topaz. They are prancing around in the world of green. They are fearless, chivalric and elegant. While sitting under the tree, they are not afraid of men.
SA 4. What difficulties Aunt Jennifer is facing while making her tigers and why?
Answer: Her hands are trembling while she holds wool. She is finding it difficult to pull the ivory needle while doing embroidery. This is happening because of her old age. The weight of difficulties faced in her married life is also sitting heavily on her hands.
SA 5. How will Aunt Jennifer’s hands look when she is dead?
Answer: Aunt Jennifer’s hands will look terrified even after her death. The weight of difficulties and ordeals of her marriage has affected her hands also.