TIPS FOR FORMAL LETTER – PLACING ORDER
1. Write address and date in left top corner.
(a) The address should be as given in the question. If address is not given in the question write some common address.
(b) While writing date please write 20XX for year unless date is given in the question. You can choose one of the following three formats of date
8th March, 20XX
March 8, 20XX
8 March 20XX
D 189, Saket,
8th March 20XX
2. Write salutation and name and / or designation of contact person and name of organisation as given in the question. For example
3. Write subject. For example
Subject: Placing order for purchase of furniture items
4. Write salutation as Dear Sir / Madam
5. Para 1 – Give a reference to earlier communication, quotation, discussion etc
6. Para 2 – Give details of items and their respective quantity (preferably in a tabular form) you intend to place order for. Mention about taxes, discount applicable and delivery schedule.
7. Para 3 – Mention about mode of payment, time of payment and advance money if paid.
8. Para 4 – Write ‘Thanking you.’
9. End your letter by writing
Your name as given in the question
10. Above will become clear to you after going through solved examples.